Friday, August 1, 2008

Inside a Bleeding Heart


My Mother really loved flowers. She knew a lot about them, in the "common" way. That is to say not the biological names but the more common names and things about them. She loved Bleeding Hearts and always had one in her garden. I have one too. (It has been gone for several weeks now) She taught me about the "inside parts" of a Bleeding Heart and I've tried to pass it on to my children and grandchildren too. (Not sure how successful I've been but I've tried.)
Here is a picture of the parts of a Bleeding Heart. The outer red parts are the "Rabbits", next the "earrings" then the "slippers" or shoes (she referred to them as "mules" and last the "bottle of champagne". The story often was embellished a bit depending on her mood. A Bleeding Heart blossom was always something I could take apart and look at the various parts with their "common" names. One of my nice memories of my Mother. Thanks Mom.
B

No comments:

Post a Comment