Thursday, February 12, 2009

While I was making several Chain Maille patterns, they seemed very familiar. So, after some surfing and just general reading I found that the pattern was indeed the same.



So, what is the difference? The results looks different. Unfortunately, the difference is simple but complicated. It involves a common measurement in Chain Maille called Aspect Ratio or AR for short. Aspect Ratio is a mathematical way to compare the size of the wire (gauge eg. 16 or 18 gauge) and the inside diameter of the ring. It basically measures the amount of space you have to work with in a pattern. Large AR results in a looser design or a very tight design if the AR is smaller.

In mathematical terms AR is inside diameter divided by the gauge or thickness of the wire.


AR= ID/Gauge. (You have to be using the same unit of measure and that is where it gets a bit tricky for mathematically challenged people.) It is something I've always enjoyed doing. Fun sort of.

The two patterns that started all of this is Single/Double Spiral and Jens Pind. I don't have a picture of a single spiral. It doesn't hold its shape. It "unwinds". Double spiral will hold its shape due to the extra space taken up with the double rings. Now if you've been following perhaps you know where this is going. Extra space allows the chain to unwind. What if you used less space? A smaller aspect ratio? Well someone did that and voila came up with Jens Pind. (I rather doubt that was the chain of events but you never know.)







I totally understand if you can't see what I'm talking about in these pictures. I tried some another picture to see if it would help

.


Jens Pind (Single spiral with small AR) is on top. Double spiral is on the bottom. Try to imagine just one, not two rings.

Can you see the similarity? Well, don't worry the results are nice and you don't have to understand electricity to turn on a light.

If you do like to hear about such information, let me know. If not, let me know that too. I try to write posts people want to read.

B

2 comments:

  1. Bev, I love to read such information about chain maille. Especially now that I figured out that AR thing. ;-) Mailleartisans.org holds so much information. I'm working on my second chain maille bracelet. Boxchain this time. Looks fine so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh. It looks so HARD!!! But the results are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete