Friday, February 6, 2009

Lead Law for Children's Protection

One of my "Humorous" magnets

I spent over 2 hours surfing on the Internet to find out the latest on the new Federal Law concerning lead in children's products. I saw a post on Rena Klingenberg's Jewelry business blog and it reminded me of the lead in children's jewelry problem. The original post started in December 2007 and follows what has happened since. The latest contribution was by Russ Nobbs of Rings and Things, a very reputable jewelry component supplier. I buy lots of my components from them just because they are forthright about such things as lead in their products and they have good stuff.

The law is supposed to take effect on February 9, 2009. It effects jewelry and anything else, toys, clothing etc whether hand made or made by large manufacturers made for children under 12. This really effects many small crafters as each item must be tested for lead whether the components are even suspicious for containing lead or not. You can just imagine the effect of that on small businesses.

Crafters of children's toys got up in arms and did the petition, contact your lawmaker route and apparently had some effect.

Anyhow, Russ's post on Rena's blog explained that:

"Yesterday, Feb 2, 2009 the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) announced a one year stay for the new regulations. The stay does NOT exempt “metal components of children’s metal jewelry (effective for products manufactured after March 23, 2009)” The text of the stay is at http://www.cpsc.gov/businfo/frnotices/fr09/stayenforce.pdf The CPSC website is http://www.cpsc.gov/


"I’m sure the National Association of Manufacturers (NAM), the Manufacturing Jewelers and Silversmiths of America (MJSA) and the other national organizations pressure along with comments from many of us influenced this stay. I’m sure the National Association of Manufacturers (NAM), the Manufacturing Jewelers and Silversmiths of America (MJSA) and the other national organizations pressure along with comments from many of us influenced this stay.

"The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) voted for the stay last week, after Congress was deluged with complaints from the broad range of industries affected by the law, including toys, apparel, and furniture. However, an exception to the stay was made for certain products, including children’s jewelry.

"As a result, third-party testing and certification will still be required for children’s jewelry products made after March 23, 2009. Those items must contain no more than 600 ppm (0.06 percent) lead content by weight. That threshold will drop to 300 ppm (0.03 percent) in August. The CPSC has until November to establish compliance protocols and testing for random samplings."

My response to this problem is
1) check with suppliers (such as Rings and Things) about the content of lead in their items -
Most are now listing any items that do have lead in them and

2) not market my jewelry to any one under 12.

Now that is not easy to do. What if someone asks me to make a 6 inch bracelet? Should I ask if it is for a child? Assume it is for a child? Ask if they will sue me if it is for a child?


I hope this post was helpful (Thanks to Rena Klinenberg and Russ Nobbs for the information included). Let me know what you think and consider checking out some of the links or doing some surfing yourself.


B

I need to make a disclaimer as part of my 2 hour Internet surfing was being able to find accurate and more importantly timely information. So, if I have things wrong, let me know but understand where I'm coming from.

PS I found this interesting NPR report this morning.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Bev, glad you found Russ's comments helpful! I'll tell him. :)

    --Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. The CPSC lead issue is a moving target. A court overturned last week's stay a few days ago. I've heard that thrift store and resale store goods and some other items have been exempted but i don't have all the details. I'm working at the Tucson show and haven't had time to sort it out.Check Rena's site and the CPSC site for latest info. Keep tuned to the Rinngs & Things website and we'll do our best to keep you informed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I am with you, we all need to take part in saving small toy businesses. I made felt play toys and my business is in jeopardy, even though they are totally safe for children!!!

    ReplyDelete