Friday, February 13, 2009

Bev's Magnets


When thinking about a post for today, I decided it was time that I "introduced" my very first products, message magnets.

I've always enjoyed working with computers. Computers and I go way back. When I was in college, my friend and I wrote a program for a simple mathematical problem. The college computer (IBM 650) was in a big room and now resides in the Smithsonian. It used punch cards. Probably not many of you remember those. Last I saw of them, they were used to make Christmas wreaths.




After we were married and had three children, we purchase our very own computer. A Radio Shack Model III. 16 K of memory. (I have seen that in the Smithsonian too)

Well, eventually we purchased a computer with more memory and a disk drive. Whoo, who! And on it went, as I'm sure many of you are familiar, with the newer and better model routine.





I really enjoyed playing around with graphics and went from black and white pics to color ones and then even to a color printer. In order to learn more I started putting the pics with phrases such as the one above. I could go on with the learning curve from coloring pics bit by bit with a paint program, to making little magnets covered with contact paper and a strip of magnet glued on the back. Then I found the plastic magnets in the Christmas Tree Shop; the kind you use for kids class pictures - 2 1/2 inches by 3 1/2 inches.




I found a store near by and asked if she would sell them for me. She did and after 14 years, she still does. I haven't made a new design in 8 years since I started designing jewelry. (The mark up is better) My friend and I still laugh that my "silly" little magnets still sell well.

Any how if you would like to see the whole "line" you can see them at www.bevsjewelry.com/magnets.html.




And just one more, last thought:





B

1 comment:

  1. I too remember the old main frame computer with punch cards from my old alma mater. Goes to show that I've earned the right to use the prayer in your last magnet saying!

    ReplyDelete