Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Chain Maille Class


Last Saturday, I taught a Chain Maille class in the Barrel weave. For various reasons it seemed to be forever in the planning. But finally we all got together at The Beadcache in Mansfield, MA and away we went.

One person had not made any Chain Maille before, the other two had experience. It never hurts to hear the basic instructions of how to open and close jump rings and what gauge and ID mean.

I always bring my "stash" of finished Chain Maille to show my students what can be accomplished. (Somehow this always results in "Oh, can you teach us how to make ...?")
;-)

The best part of teaching is seeing the smiles on the faces as they look at what they have made. "I can't believe I made this" is heard more than once or "I just love this!" It makes it all worth while.

I also get to make a bracelet too. How else do you show people how to make the Barrel weave? I've been told more than once that "I have to be shown how to do -this or that - to be able to make something"

I finished my bracelet when I got home. I had a nice pink lampwork bead just sitting around waiting for its place in my new bracelet. My students made a plain Barrel weave bracelet but were also shown how to add a bead as I did. They were also shown how to make the Barrel weave variation you can see in a previous post. A favorite Math teacher I had in high school, Mr. Conroy, always gave what he called "the enriched" class. Mr. Conroy, I try to do that too.

B

www.bevsjewelry.com and www.bevsjewelry.1000markets.com

1 comment:

  1. You've hit it on the nail - the real reward of being a teacher is seeing the beaming faces! One of my students was so pleased she made something she could wear in public!!

    ReplyDelete