Friday, November 21, 2008

Doing things even if Afraid



I just finished reading a post on the blog of a 1000Markets shop. Abelee's http://www.1000markets.com/blog_posts/675



The title of the post is "Do it Afraid". She talks about stepping up to do something even if you are afraid. For example, doing shows for selling her products even though , at first, they did not work out well. Each improved when she conquered her fear.



It reminded me of a discussion we had at our recent South Shore Beaders meeting. We were laughing about the phrases we have come up with to explain our "problems" that we some times have in making our jewelry. We all need to see that we are not alone in these problems and eventually "forcing" us to step out and do something. Friends are good and Groups of Friends are even better!

One of our laughable phrases is "FOF" and lately "FOG". Fear of Finishing and Fear of Glue. Very silly but sometimes we recognize that it is true and we need to work afraid anyhow.


Fear of finishing is interesting since we are almost finished with a piece, then something holds us up. "I can't find end caps I like" or "The clasps I have just don't go". And on and on the excuses go. I'm sure you can think of a few of your own excuses.

Just do it comes to mind also.



Fear of gluing, well that seems a bit different. There are many steps in making jewelry and gluing is one that we often do, "Just to make sure" something will hold. Is it necessary? Sometimes, and sometimes not. Just another thing to make sure our pieces are as perfect as we can make them.
But gluing is messy, takes time and don't forget about putting the top back on. One of my favorite things my husband says about glue is "If the glue is really good, you shouldn't be able to get the top off" One of the reasons I only buy small sizes of glue is that they always dry up before I use the whole tube. So, does this help you to understand "FOG"?


I won't make any comments about what else "FOG" could represent.
;-)


We will be on vacation next week and I'm not sure if I will have Internet access. So, Happy Thanksgiving to you all and thanks for reading my blog.


B




6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the plug! :-)

    And I can so relate to your post. I have at least a dozen half-finished earrings in my workspace that I just can't seem to get to.. and I couldn't figure out why until now. :-)

    Happy holidays!
    *.Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Bev. I find this goes with any artistic endeavor. I have a painting that I haven't touched because I can't seem to figure out where to go with it next. Maybe I just need to jump in with both hands and get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do it afraid - that's a great phrase. It reminds me of a definition of courage I once saw. Courage is being afraid but still going on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you have a wonderful vacation-and that you're headed somewhere warm!

    No Fears Here!

    Be careful on your journeys. We'll miss you!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh I like that one too!-"Courage is being afraid but still going on" I am reading a book right now and the last chapter made a reference to this very topic! It said there is no courage without fear- cool coincidence, Happy Creating ! =^.^=

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no...what else could FOG represent? What else? What else? What else? What else? What else? Oh dear...thinking...thinking...

    ReplyDelete