Thursday, May 10, 2012

Birthday Present
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Normally we do not give birthday presents in our family but every once in awhile there is a good exception. This is one of those years for my oldest daughter. I won't say what makes it special. ;-)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
As you may have noticed, I've been making a lot of Kumihimo pieces lately. Also, you may remember the beautiful Michael Harrington beads I purchased at my last bead show?  
 
 
 
 
 
 
After several trips to my local bead stores I came up with the above design. I found two large hole Bali type beads to frame Michael's focal bead. The large holes allow room for the cords in the Kumihimo braid. (Trip one)
 
 
 
 
 
Then I must have looked over every single seed bead in the store to find the right color to go with the focal bead. After I found one, I noticed that I had chosen Emerald. Which just happens to be the gemstone for the month of May. (Trip two)
 
 
 
 
 
 
Making the Kumihimo braid is often the easiest part of the whole design. The ends usually present a dilemma in finishing. End caps come in so many different sizes and shapes. I think we tried every end cap in the store and finally decided on these. (Trip three)
 
 
All of this is part of the jewelry designing process and I just love doing it. Especially with a nice result like this one. Any time you have design in mind you would like to see, just ask and we can usually come up with a great design.
 
 
I'm still working on last week's necklace. Haven't been able to find the end caps I like yet. But there is a bead show coming up this weekend and I plan to be there. No telling if I'll find anything but I'll be looking.
 
 
Until this Friday's special and next week,
 
 
Bev
 

No comments:

Post a Comment