Thursday, November 12, 2009
New Chain Maille Necklace
Tuesday I posted about a new pair of earrings I made. With those finished, I decided to start something else new. Poking around in my stash of rings I found three large copper rings I received from Urban Maille when I ordered a kit for a half persian bracelet. The ID for the rings is about 15mm. Large! My next thought went to the recent project of the Japanese Bulls-Eye earrings. So, I then found an 8mm sterling silver ring to put in the middle. (Like the Bulls-Eye) I then tried to put some little rings to connect the two large rings as in the Bulls-Eye. (Picture on the left)
It looked fine on my work surface but wouldn't hold its shape when picked up. My plan was to make earrings. Even pulling them up a bit to look like Mickey Mouse didn't seem to work. (Picture on right)
Next, I thought a necklace form might help hold the design. It did a little bit better. (See this picture.)
Well, it isn't exactly a Bulls-Eye but not a bad look. Since I only had three copper rings, the first part of the design was finished. Next, I added a simple chain of 2 and 1 rings and I ended it with a lobster claw clasp and a small extender chain. It measures about 18 inches long. Here is the finished design:
It is fun to see how an idea changes from start to finish. I may think about it some more and maybe the real finished project will be different but so far I like it.
www.bevsjewelry.com and www.bevsjewelry.1000markets.com