Thursday, November 12, 2009

New Chain Maille Necklace






Tuesday I posted about a new pair of earrings I made. With those finished, I decided to start something else new. Poking around in my stash of rings I found three large copper rings I received from Urban Maille when I ordered a kit for a half persian bracelet. The ID for the rings is about 15mm. Large! My next thought went to the recent project of the Japanese Bulls-Eye earrings. So, I then found an 8mm sterling silver ring to put in the middle. (Like the Bulls-Eye) I then tried to put some little rings to connect the two large rings as in the Bulls-Eye. (Picture on the left)


It looked fine on my work surface but wouldn't hold its shape when picked up. My plan was to make earrings. Even pulling them up a bit to look like Mickey Mouse didn't seem to work. (Picture on right)
Next, I thought a necklace form might help hold the design. It did a little bit better. (See this picture.)




Well, it isn't exactly a Bulls-Eye but not a bad look. Since I only had three copper rings, the first part of the design was finished. Next, I added a simple chain of 2 and 1 rings and I ended it with a lobster claw clasp and a small extender chain. It measures about 18 inches long. Here is the finished design:



It is fun to see how an idea changes from start to finish. I may think about it some more and maybe the real finished project will be different but so far I like it.

B

www.bevsjewelry.com and www.bevsjewelry.1000markets.com

4 comments:

  1. I love how you developped the design by starting with the three copper rings. And I like the necklace. Simple design, but beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much of chain maille is time intensive and you just never make it back when you sell so I am always looking for simple but effective designs that can help offset the personal cost of doing a dragons scale in very small rings, lol.

    Excellent job.

    Lois
    http://www.abeadedaffair.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic Necklace! It is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is too classic and too beautiful,also all.
    silver

    jewelry exporters

    ReplyDelete