Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Complicated?

Complicated?
 
We often watch "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" while we eat lunch. Well, really almost everyday. Today one of the questions was very interesting. Paraphrased  -
 
 
Given these choices,  which one means "Complicated"
 
1) Macedonian, 2) Assyrian, 3) Byzantine, or 4) Caledonian ?
 
I suppose because I'm the one asking, the answer is easy.
It is 3) Byzantine.
 
I checked with a dictionary and found, though it was the 3rd meaning:
 
Byzantine - highly complex or intricate and occasionally devious... complicated in structure; consisting of interconnected parts;
 
Byzantine is one of my favorite patterns of Chain Maille. It looks complicated but it really isn't (when you know how). I have a book that has lots of variations of Byzantine and I was asked to teach one of them. It is called "Side Knot Design" by Scott David Plumlee.
 
 
 

 
So, I ordered the appropriate rings and started to make a bracelet. New designs usually present a problem getting started but this one ... The easy part was the Byzantine sections. The complicated part was the Side Knot. Byzantine, indeed!
 
I even asked for help from by buddy Scott at pflora beads. It was just trying to understand the instructions while holding what I had put together already without the rungs falling out of order or dropping rings etc. Many times just another pair of eyes helps and it did.
 
Now, I understand and it is not as Byzantine as it seemed in the beginning.
 
Here is a close up picture of the Side Knot.
 
 
 
All of which proves how hard it is to get a good picture of shiny silver rings. The paper clips are just aids to keep the pattern together until more rings can be added. It does lend a bit of size comparison though.
 
 
The finished bracelet really looks nice.
 
 
 
 
 
What do you think of the new design? I think I should add it to my website. This one is made with Argentium sterling Silver (as I usually do - for tarnish resistance)

Bev
 

No comments:

Post a Comment