Thursday, July 14, 2011

QR Codes

QR Codes

Just what are they?
 


Well, here is one. Looks like a bar code on steroids. They are popping up all over and if you have and fully use, a Smart Phone, maybe you already know what a QR Code is and have used one.

I don't have a Smart Phone, yet. Maybe in the near future. With a Google search you can learn lots of things and I've been searching. Effectively, a bar code on steroids is not far off. A QR (QR stands for Quick Response) code is a 2-D barcode that can be scanned by a smart phone's camera and transfer information. Based on the type of code it is, it might direct the viewer to a website, make a phone call, deliver a vCard or more. This QR code really says something. [If you can read it and send me an email, I'll do what it says.]
 
So, how do you make a QR code? I Googled and found several sites that will make various versions. The real question, in my mind, is why? or what would you do with them?
 
That really is where your imagination comes into play. Since I don't want to give away what this one does or says, I won't start there.
 
Some give you a web site you can go to. Just by aiming your phone at the QR code you can be taken to a website. Some have their contact information for your future information.
 
Needless to say things are evolving. However, you might be wondering what started me thinking about all this. And here it is:
 
 
QR codes are being used on jewelry. The codes can be personalized. What ever you would like to say. "I love you" or what every you can imagine. You can find mugs (always mugs ;-) cloth bags, T-shirts, greeting cards, etc.  Even like the QR code I made above. (Remember I said it says something special - I'll let you know exactly what it says next week)
 
The main use right now is for marketing and you'll be sure to seem QR codes all over now that they have been pointed out to you.
 
 
 

Let me know if you have seen any unusual QR codes or if you are using them. Do you like the idea of QR code jewelry?

No comments:

Post a Comment